Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Could I live with no car?

After reading a blog about how some minimalists have gone so far as to get rid of their cars, it got me thinking about if it would actually be possible.

In America our sprawling cities and their adjacent suburbs have grown based on the influence of automobiles.  Chain stores and strip centers spring up on main traffic arteries which run for miles.  This type of growth is far different than it was before everyone had a car.  In older cities and towns, all commerce was packed into a city-center where everything from shoe repair to hardware to the butcher shop was located within a radius that rarely exceeded one mile.  After all, if your best and fastest transportation involved a horse and buggy, chances are your business wouldn't last long if it was located 10 miles from the center of town.  Now, to drive 50 miles around town in order to "pick up a few things" is commonplace.  Everything is spread out.

While on vacation in Europe, I noticed how many old city and town centers are largely intact.  I found I was able to walk to everything.  In many cases, a car isn't needed.  Part of the reason is expensive gas.  But there seemed to be another underlying reason.  It seemed to me as if many in Europe like to "keep it simple" and stick with what has always worked.  Folks enjoy getting out and walking or biking.  Purchasing the day's food needs at the street market is a pleasure, not a chore.  Some cities, like Amsterdam are configured such that 40% of commuters use a bicycle instead of a car.  A large percentage of transportation spending is directed at encouraging bicycle use and maintaining bike lanes and signals.  I couldn't even imagine how nearly half of our local population could bike to work.  Everything is just too far apart.  Plus, it's way too   i n c o n v e n i e n t. 

One thing is for sure...there'd be far less obesity if we actually used our own body power to transport ourselves around.

The thought of giving up the car is enticing.  No insurance, which keeps going up.  No gas expense.  No repair expense.  No car payments.  The savings would be more than a bit significant.  I could probably get away with it in a place like Manhattan or Paris, but I live in an average mid sized city where a good amount of what we buy comes from places like Home Depot, Target or Costco.  None of these places is next to the other.  Not even close.  This fact perpetuates the use of automobiles.

Although the distance between most shopping destinations (I hate that expression) is relatively far in miles, it isn't so far that it couldn't be tackled on a bicycle.  I'd go for it IF there was a safe way to do it.  Frankly, there just isn't.  The thought of biking on our main traffic arteries makes me shudder.  These are the ribbons of asphalt frequented by folks in a big hurry...always in a hurry.  They drive Escalades and Yukons while texting or engaging in  heated phone conversations while adjusting their neckties or applying makeup.  Oh, and did I mention they're late?   Always late?  Add this to the fact that the shoulders of most main roads are littered with whatever was pitched out the window, fell off  the undercarriage, or flew out of the open bed of any number of vehicles.  Were talking hubcaps, glass, entire exhaust systems, lumber....you name it.  I've even seen artificial ficus trees, bed frames and <gulp> crushed bicycles.  Top that off with having to breathe in a cocktail of vehicle exhaust.  Nope.  Not even going to try.

And bike lanes?  Ha!  There are a few paths in town...mostly recreational, circling lakes or winding through parks.  Most aren't crowded...ever.  Why sweat on a bike when the TV remote and a bag of potato chips are only steps away?

I got so disgusted over it all that I fought back in my own little way today.  A giant Lowes just opened about a mile away from our home and we needed a few things (replacements for those things that keep breaking - see my earlier post about this) so as I reached for the car keys I stopped and declared "I'm taking the bike."  My family looked at me, stunned, as if I had said I was from Mars.  "I'm doing it.  It's good for me." I said with more conviction.  And so I did.  I took the back roads to a gravel path and cut behind another local strip center to get there.  Surprisingly, they had a bike rack.  One.  I made my purchase, tossed the items into my pack and pedaled home.  Total time, 30 minutes.   Not bad, and I got some exercise.

Within one mile we now have the huge hardware megalopolis, two supermarkets, about four restaurants and a smattering of other stores that would probably satisify most of our fairly meager needs.  I plan to use the bike more often if I can effectively avoid the main roads.  Hopefully, I'll stick with it.  We've managed to stick to other healthy choices, so I'm optimistic. 

It would be nice if we (society) placed more emphasis on biking to work, for health and just to get outside.  It could only be a good thing.  Will I get rid of the car?  Enticing, but not likely unless I move to a big city center or a city that is more bike friendly.  I hear Portland Oregon is the most bike friendly with 9% of its citizens biking to work.  A far cry from Amsterdam, but not bad for America.

This would work...

No comments:

Post a Comment