Monday, September 6, 2010

Excuses, excuses....

I still have too much stuff.

Today I woke up with the idea that I'd get rid of some more belongings.  In order to assist with the day's culling I tried to imagine a situation that might force me to make a quick decision about things.

What if I had to move from my home quickly due to.....a nuclear attack?  Nah..too focused on just surviving.  A job offer in another country?  Perhaps.

I ran through the hypothetical options one at a time trying to come up with best scenario that would force me to make educated decisions about what stays and what goes.  Moving to another country seemed best.  It didn't have life threatening implications and I had to seriously think about hauling my things a great distance, which I didn't ever want to do.  In that case an item's weight and bulk would influence the decision.

Even though I don't think I own an awful lot, I do own some big things.  One of my favorites is an antique grandfather clock.  We're not talking about a Howard Miller you buy at the furniture store.  We're talking Big Ben..a monumental mahogany monolith that stands nearly eight feet tall and inclusive of the weights that run it, it likely tips the scales at nearly four hundred pounds.  I believe it has enough mass to create its own gravitational field.  Shipping the thing would be logistical and expensive nightmare.  It would have to go.  Nothing to discuss.

I stood in the living room and looked up at it...towering above me.  Just then I became paralyzed.  I didn't want to sell it.  After all, what were the chances I'd find another?  Actually, quite good now that we have the internet.  But...but...I really liked it.  No, I didn't need it, but I loved the way it looked in the corner of the living room.  It had character.  I was making excuses as to why it needed to remain where it is.  What else would I put in that corner under the vaulted ceiling?  Whatever went there needed to be huge since the space was large.  I needed to envision me....in a smaller space.

And so today I went on making excuses as I perused my possessions.  I might read those books...  That chair is so comfortable....  But it's so COOL.  It was clear I wouldn't be spending any time with the digital camera or eBay today. 

Minimizing is a process.  Some days it is easy and on others I just don't want to make decisions about getting rid of things.  After paring back for some time, I'm reaching into the core of my possessions...the things that mean something to me.  It makes the process harder as the number of things I own goes down.   Early on in the process I didn't care so much about a lot of the stuff I had.  I probably had it all because I never got around to getting rid of it.   Closets and drawers were loaded with crap I didn't use.  This made the first cull very satisfying.  A lot went out the door, but now it's getting harder.  I need to overcome my own resistance to letting go...I can't let my belongings define me.

I'll steel myself and try again..

2 comments:

  1. So, I am curious, Jeff. What's your ultimate vision in terms of culling down? To only have strictly utilitarian items (x number of spoons, 7 pair of boxers, etc.) and nothing ornamental? I'm a HUGE believer in paring down in order to make your life manageable. Too much stuff is psychic weight and drags you down. It's a constant challenge.

    BUT...there's also something to be said for beauty. Keeping a few things (not too many) that add beauty to your life are just as valuable as that one all-purpose pan you use for cooking. Do you love that grandfather clock because it adds beauty to your life every time you walk by it? If it were vanquishing in a storage unit, I'd tell you to get rid of it. But its beauty seems to have brought you happiness for many years, and you have loved it enough to lug it with you and put it where everyone can see it.

    As for the books you haven't read yet....yeah. TOSS 'em!

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, in our continual effort to simplify and minimize, let's not underestimate the intangible value of beauty in our lives. An old grandfather clock is, arguably, among the most beautiful things one can possess.


    My two cents.
    TDC

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for checking my comments often....

    My aim is not necessarily to own only utilitarian items, but to strike a balance between what I need and the (decorative) things I love.

    Choices about many things are easy...Sometimes I can't think of any good reason I might own something and off it goes, but sometimes, as in the case with the clock, the decision isn't so easy.

    In the end, the clock went to someone else who loved it. I remember reading long ago that we never really own antiques, we simply pay for the right to care for them until the next person takes over. It was time to pass it on to someone else who would receive as much joy as I did. I have other, smaller ones that also give me joy and don't require a forklift when moving time comes.

    Ever hear the expression "Out of sight, out of mind?" I figured I'd get used to the big clock not being around...I did.

    I do own decorative items that express my tastes, but not so many as to clutter things in my mind. I just go with what my eyes and mind are comfortable with. Sometimes that changes, though. It's all a process.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete