Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hammer Time

"You must have some great stuff in your house."

By far this is the line I hear the most when I disclose that I'm an auctioneer.  Indeed, in nearly a dozen years I have had the opportunity to secure just about anything you can think of.  Whale penis?  Yup. (From the estate of an Alaskan family.)  Varnished hornet's nest?  Of course.  Rubber full sized replica of a car engine?  You bet.  (From the warehouse of a movie propmaster.)  There's never a dull moment in my business.  Never.

Despite the illusion that I've seen it all, there is always something new and unusual that I haven't seen.  I'm constantly surprised at what can be found in the homes of everyday citizens. 

Over the years I've also learned about the people who have the possessions.  When my firm is charged with going through and sorting the contents of a home that represents a lifetime's accumulation, it is easy to build a story out of the stuff.  Were they travelers or hermits?  Collectors?  Compulsives?  Cooks?  The belongings speak.



Sometimes we sell the assets of people who are still alive.  As we evaluate we hear the stories about the acquisitions. 

Through the years a number of generalizations have become obvious.  First....most people have no idea how they ended up with so many possessions.  Second....a great number of people express some sort of regret about having large numbers of items.  Often they feel buried under the weight of their own things.  They are buried under the physicality of the items and by the psychological connection to items that prevents them from giving them up.  Many merge their identity with their belongings.

None of this is surprising considering we live in an acquisitive society.  We're all about BUY, BUY, BUY and MORE, MORE, MORE.  Our bloated homes strain to contain it all and even then, people find they must pay to put items in storage.  God forbid you need to relocate.  Moving everything becomes a gargantuan task.



My job is to sell assets for people, businesses, executors, administrators and the like.  The auction method is the most efficient way to monetize a large number of assets in a short time.  Bidders congregate and the highest bidder for each item wins.  We are often, but not always, in contact with those in distress, be it financial, personal or otherwise.  Most often, we provide a solution.  Through the process of contracting, sorting, valuing and eventually selling, we are in communication with our main contact point.  The content of these communications has led me to conclude that in general, most of us own far too many things.

Again and again I hear the message from different people in different forms.  We'd be happier overall if we just got rid of non-essential items.  Even better if we didn't accumulate them in the first place.  Our planet would be healthier too. 

I was, for a long time, someone who saw material possessions as a way of establishing status in society.  More stuff meant you were richer than someone who had less.  That is, after all, what marketers aim for.  If you have more, it must be better and you must be happier.  Right?

I know better now and have embarked on a quest to remove from my life that which isn't really important.  It is easier said than done and it is quite common for me to waffle about getting rid of something.  Overall though, the benefits have been huge.

With the economic downturn, people are taking stock of their lives and a grassroots movement has begun to live with less and live sustainably.  The movement is inherently counter to what our society preaches.  We are told we must consume, the economy must expand....  Its not sustainable or healthy.

I hope to share some of my interactions and experiences.  My challenges and transgressions.  Maybe provide a little insight into what material possessions do to people.  I see it every day, every week, every month.  The stories are different but the message is the same.

As an auctioneer, I also stumble into some humorous situations and discover strange generalizations people make.  This is the outlet..... Lets have some fun.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice blog Jeff, I'm eagerly anticipating all future insight. Love it!

    sandy :)

    ReplyDelete