Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You bought...what?

We found it in a dusty corner of the old collapsing garage...a building, that when viewed from a certain angle, looks like an Escher drawing as gravity tugs at its corners.  "I bet someone will buy it" giggles one of our auctioneers...I shake my head.."No way.  Toss it in the burn pile."  Fast forward to three weeks later and that hornet's nest we found in the garage has fetched $20 at auction.

Where does one put it?  Does it make a good centerpiece?  Should we keep it away from the dog?  Are we sure all the hornets are dead...are there any dead ones inside?  Can we turn it into a lamp?

I'm trying to figure out what was going through the mind of the purchaser.  What other sorts of things does this person own?  Ant farms?  Cicada husks?  A stuffed beaver?

At this same sale we managed to sell:  A rusty pile of sash weights, bags of sea shells, lots of broken things.  Twelve years in this business and I'm still astounded at what people want to own and what they will pay to own.  Certainly, the fact that I wouldn't want to own it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't worth owning....by someone else....or maybe, something else is at work here....

Since an auction is a fast paced sale, folks need to make snap decisions about what they want to buy.  They don't have time to think beyond "Oh, that's really cool...I can do something with that."  The same principle is at work when you look at the Snicker's bar sitting in the display at the drugstore checkout.  You know you want it and you have to make a decision right then.  Then, when you have finished jamming it into your mouth you think..."Man, I just had pizza.  I didn't need to eat that."
I bet we can get $10 for it...

Unless it is now actually is a lamp....I'm sure there's a good chance the new owner of that dusty hornet's nest is thinking "What was I thinking!?" every time he/she passes it by in a corner of the garage.  "Can't get rid of it...got twenty bucks in the thing!"  

Be aware of your impulses.

Hey....is that twenty bucks I see up there?


No comments:

Post a Comment